Only $95 with results in 7 working days
von Willebrand Disease DNA Testing is a fast and effective way of determining whether or not your dog has von Willebrand Disease Type I (vWD I) or is likely to pass it on to any offspring.
IMPORTANT: Please check the list below of breeds that can be tested for vWD I before ordering. We can only test the breeds listed below and cancellation charges will apply for orders placed for breeds that we do not test.
What is von Willebrand Disease Type I (vWD I)?
von Willebrand Disease (vWD) is the most common inherited bleeding disorder in dogs. It is caused by a deficiency in the amount of the specific protein needed to help blood clot.
There are three forms or variants of von Willebrand Disease – Types 1, 2 and 3 – that are based on the quantity and structure of plasma von Willebrand Factor (vWF).
Type I von Willebrand Disease is defined by abnormally low production of protein found in the vWF blood which is a key factor in the process of clotting a damaged blood vessel and is usually milder and more variable in form than the other types.
von Willebrand Disease (vWD) is an inherited autosomal recessive disorder. Affected dogs are at risk of excessive and prolonged bleeding after injury and during or after surgery.
What Does the von Willebrand Disease DNA Test Do?
von Willebrand Disease DNA Test results are based upon the specific von Willebrand Type I mutation (c.7437G>A). Clear results for vWD I only pertain to the specific mutation tested. It will not detect if a dog has any other form of bleeding disorder.
Dogs that carry one (1) copy of the vWD mutation may display a reduction in the amount of plasma vWF but are unlikely to be symptomatic. A carrier x carrier mating is likely to produce some affected offspring.
Which Breeds Can Be Tested for vWD I?
von Willebrand Disease DNA Testing can be carried out on the following breeds:
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- Coton de Tulear
- Doberman Pinscher
- Drentsche Patrijschond
- German Pinscher
- Kerry Blue Terrier
- Manchester Terrier
- Pembroke Welsh Corgi
We can test mixed breed dogs as long as one or more of the breeds is listed above. However, it should be noted that the test results will only be relevant to the breed(s) on the list. We cannot test for breeds that are not included in the list above.
What will von Willebrand Disease Test Results Tell You?
Using a simple swab from the inner cheek of your dog, we will ascertain whether your dog carries the mutation associated with von Willebrand Type I, which allows you to make an informed choice as to whether or not to breed from the dog.
Once we receive the dog’s buccal swabs, we undertake tests that will give one of three possible outcomes:
- A CLEAR result shows that the dog has inherited two genes from its parents that are mutation free. The dog cannot pass faulty genes on to any offspring.
- A CARRIER result indicates that the dog has inherited one normal copy of the relevant gene, and one mutation. This means that the dog has a strong likelihood of passing on the condition to offspring. Where a potential mate also carries the gene mutation, any offspring will be at high risk of inheriting the condition and also of passing it on.
- An AFFECTED result indicates that the dog has inherited two copies of the mutated gene from its parents and is at risk of suffering a severe bleeding incident. It will definitely pass on the mutation to any offspring.
Please click on the image below to view our von Willebrand Disease DNA Testing Result Chart:
Other Dog DNA Tests from AffinityDNA
As well as von Willebrand Disease DNA Testing we also offer a range of inherited disease screening tests including:
- Degenerative Myelopathy Test (DM)
- Exercise Induced Collapse Testing (EIC)
- Hyperuricosuria DNA Test for Uric Acid
- Multidrug Resistance 1 MDR1 Test
- PRCD-pra Testing
Dog Allergy Testing, Dog Parentage Testing and a choice of dog DNA breed tests which include information about the personality traits and predisposition to diseases for each breed found in your dog’s DNA.
If you have any questions about von Willebrand Disease DNA Testing for your dog, please do not hesitate to Contact our Customer Service Team who will be happy to help you.